Location: Blue Earth, MN
Project Architect: C.S. Dunham
Faribault County was organized as one of Minnesota’s territorial counties in 1856. The city of Blue Earth, with a population of 15, was named the temporary county seat by the legislature. That fall 82 residents in the county voted unanimously to leave the county seat in Blue Earth.
The architect for the courthouse was C.A. Dunham of Burlington Iowa and the contractor was S.J. Hoban from St. Paul. The style of the courthouse is Richardsonian (Romanesque).
Stone used in the construction of the courthouse was transported from Kasota MN to Blue Earth by horse & wagon and rail. Most of the sand used in the mortar was from the Blue Earth river bottom and thoroughly washed. The pillars on the front of the building are of polished granite. There are ledges on all four sides of the tower that are of solid stone of unknown weights of several ton each.