The Milton House
Location: Milton, Wisconsin
Architect: Joseph Goodrich
Milton House is a historic building located at 18 South Janesville Street in Milton, Wisconsin. It was a stop on the Underground Railroad, a network of people and places that facilitated the movements of escaped slaves. In addition, the building is believed to be the first grout building built in the United States. It is also known for its hexagonal shape.
In 1937 the house was in poor condition, uninhabited, and was threatened with being demolished. The Milton Historical Society acquired and restored the building.
The house and cabin are open to the public via guided tours.
Milton House was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1998. It is the most prominent abolitionist site still standing in Wisconsin.