Historic Grant High School
Location: Portland, OR
Project Architect: Knighton & Howell (architecture firm, 1922-1938), William Christmas Knighton (architect, 1864-1938), Leslie Dillon Howell (architect, 1884-1969)
Historic Grant High School is a public high school in the Grant Park neighborhood of Portland, Oregon, United States Grant opened in September 1924, with 1,191 students. Many of the schools in the Portland Public School district that were built between 1908 and 1932 were designed by architects Floyd Naramore and George Jones. However, so many schools were being built in the early ’20s that the district had to hire another architectural company for Grant High School, which was designed in the Classical Revival style by the architect firm Knighton and Howell. In November 1923, the bricklayers working on building Grant went on strike after the district tried to cut costs by using a maintenance worker to lay bricks.